As a consequence of declining membership, and a continued trading loss, prompted The Clayfield Bowls Club to sell their premises and enter into an arrangement with the Kalinga Bowls Club which they hoped would ensure the clubs future survival.
Unfortunately this enterprise did not attain the required results. The Management then formulated a four clause proposal which was presented to their members for consideration.
One of the clauses specified the possible merger with the Wavell Heights Bowls Club.
The members approved and in the January of 2012 initial discussion commenced with The Wavell Heights Bowls Club.
Both clubs agreed a merger would ensure their future survival so conditions were formulated for presentation to the respective members.
In April 2012 both clubs members at special general meetings voted unanimously to continue proceedings.
A primary consideration of the merger was a new club would be formed with a new name.
To comply with the government act on club mergers an Interim Officers Committee (consisting of 6 members from each club) was established.
It was their function to attend to all the legal aspects, attend to the day to day operations of the club and act as a caretaker government until the Annual General Meeting.
From many and varied suggestions received, the I.O.C. determined the name of the new club would be The Northern Suburbs Bowls Club Inc. with the club colours of Maroon, light blue and gold on a white background. In October 2012 The Office of Fair Trading approved the merger and the club name. The first A.G.M. of the club held on the 24th February 2013 and all positions were filled. On the 1st June 2013 the club held their Foundation Day celebrations to introduce the new club to the bowls world in general.
FOUNDATION OF THE NORTHERN SUBURBS BOWLS CLUB
The Wavell Heights Bowls Club was the brainchild of the Neighbourhood Society and, four years after the inaugural meeting, was officially opened on 8th February 1958. To raise funds, every foundation member, forty-three in all, were asked to contribute a minimum of twenty pound each in debentures. Debentures policy was followed for three years and all subscribers were designated as "Foundation Members." The annual subscription was five guineas.
After a long period of negotiations regarding finance a bank loan of 3000 pounds was finally secured which enabled work to begin on the first green - the total cost being 2,700 pounds. This left little money for a clubhouse.
In 1956 members began playing bowls at Brighton Bowls Club while No. 1 green was being built. They played there wearing the colours of 'Bottle Green and Gold.' While work began on green No. 1 in September 1955, it wasn't until 1957 that thirty members, both male and female, had the privilege of trying it out.
Unfortunately, Green No. 1 had to be rebuilt after it was found to have major drainage problems. A second green was built at the cost of 4000 pounds and this was opened in June 1960. After reconstruction of No. 1 green play recommenced in 1963 but, as this was still not satisfactory, the blue couch on both greens was replaced by Tifdwarf. In 1975 work began on a third green. This was built on a reclaimed rubbish dump and was ont without long term problems. By 1986/87, membership of the Men's Bowls Club had risen to 280.
Part of the site suitable for a clubhouse was found to be on filled and reclaimed land. Considerable excavation and fill became necessary. The clubhouse began as an old prefabricated building which was bough and transported by road to Wavell Heights from Newmarket Bowls Club. The total cost came to 850 pounds. In 1961 a permanent building was erected and, after more debentures were forthcoming from members, from 1964 to 1968 permanent structures and alterations were made. A new standard commercial kitchen was completed in 1995. Over the years the Men's Club have won many pennant flags and in 2000 won the highly acclaimed Division One Pennant.
On 5th July, 1955 the preliminary meeting of the Wavell Heights Ladies Bowls Club was held. It was on the 3rd March 1958, that the Ladies Club was officially opened. Prior to the greens being completed at Wavell Heights, the Wavell Heights ladies played at Nundah Bowls Club. The ladies club at Wavell Heights steadily progressed to reach a membership of 100. It was in 1963 that the Ladies' Club won their first Metropolitan Pennant Flag and have added several pennant flags to the collection since that time.
In 1993 the Ladies' and Men's Club amalgamated under a board of management.
HISTORY OF WAVELL HEIGHTS BOWLS CLUB.
Clayfield Bowls Club began in 1906 when a bowling club was formed and played on a private green in Station St Nundah. In 1908 the committee decided to look for a site which was close to a railway station and suitable for a good green and clubhouse. A site on Highclere Hill was selected. The land, a clubhouse and material to construct a green was purchased for £1150 – then a vast sum. In September, 1909 the new club was opened with much ceremony with the Brisbane Lord Mayor as principal guest and widely reported in all the Brisbane newspapers. New members poured in and by 1910 membership stood at the declared limit of 100. The green was closed during World War I but by 1919 a waiting list was introduced to cope with the popularity of the club. Competitions with the other four Brisbane clubs were frequent and popular. Pennants competitions were played and in 1927 Clayfield won both the A and B grades.
Bowling trips to other clubs across Queensland and northern NSW began in 1910 with up to 25 bowlers travelling by train for trips lasting up to two weeks. The club, from the start, conducted many social functions to bring members, family and friends together. Many of these functions became fund raisers during the World Wars.
The clubhouse underwent many changes. In 1913 the original clubhouse built on the west side was attacked by white ants and was relocated. In 1948 it was again resited to a more central position but with further development of greens it was moved to its final position on the east side in the 1950s. In 2005 this clubhouse was upgraded and modernised.
The club started with only one green with a small four rink green added in 1918. This green was lit in 1939 to allow night play. In 1949 an additional full green was built on land purchased by the club.
Until 1956 the club was entirely male but in that year the committee approved the formation of a separate Clayfield Ladies Bowling Club which amalgamated with CBC in 1999.
With much ceremony the club celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in 1966 but the greatest ceremony occurred in 2006 with the celebration of the club’s centenary. A formal dinner was held with Lord Mayor Campbell Newman as guest of honour and the following day a club luncheon saw the Governor of Queensland, Her Excellency Ms. Quentin Bryce, as the principal guest. After lunch she rolled the original 1909 jack to start the afternoon’s bowling.
Declining membership in the 1990s resulted in fewer bowlers on the green and mounting financial problems. Sale of the small green deferred immediate action as did a two-year arrangement with Pine Rivers Bowls Club in 2005. Debts mounted so, despite being asset rich but money poor, in 2011, after a business relationship with a financier who was forced into receivership, the club left Adelaide Street. After a year as a lodger at Kalinga Bowls Club, Clayfield amalgamated with Wavell Heights in 2012 to become part of the new Northern Suburbs Bowls Club. 106 years of history ended.
HISTORY OF CLAYFIELD BOWLS CLUB